Monday, January 25, 2021

The Dial-Up Drawings

Beach Girl
 

I had dial-up internet until 2009.  That meant speeds of 40 or 50 kilobits per second...if I was lucky.  Waiting for a page to load took forever.  It was tedious and aggravating.  I had piles of notepads with white paper, 5 1/4" x 8", thick stock.  I always kept one between the keyboard and the screen, to make notes or doodle, always with a ball point pen.  In the last few months of 2008 I started drawing something more than a scribble, using one of my Staedtler felt tip pens.  It was better than staring at the screen, waiting.

It was a good exercise, because the drawings were extemporaneous and, as I was using a pen rather than a pencil, I couldn't do any erasing; if I made a mistake, all I could do was curse myself, or work around it.  Not that it mattered: they were just doodles that no one would ever see.  Till now.  Here's a few of the better ones from those last few months of dial-up.  One and a half inches of the paper in those pads is taken up by the company logo, so the illustrations are actually 5" x 6 1/2" or less.  Arranged in alphabetical order.

Chamber Maid

Cloud

Cyclops

Dungeon

Eyeball

Geologist

Goblin

Lizard

Lost In Thought

Red Riding Hood

Repairs

Rowboat

Smile

Spear

Spiral Eyes

Stone

Tough Bull

Up And At 'Em

Wild Man

Wrench

No comments:

Post a Comment